HISP relies on a strong partnership with parents. Through donating, volunteering, and advocacy, parents provide the support that enables HISP to continue its tradition of offering a rich and rigorous public education.
HISP parents form a highly skilled, dedicated corps of volunteers who contribute countless hours in support of students, teachers, and the HISP coordinator. Volunteer opportunities include:
- HISP Council: Become a board member or committee chair
- Field Trips: Chaperone and/or drive. Parents must be fingerprinted. Submit paperwork to the CKM Office Manager as early in the school year as possible.
- Hospitality: Furnish refreshments for HISP-sponsored events
- Grant Writing: Research funding opportunities and complete grant applications
- Humanities Events Day: Plan and staff these spring after-school activities
- Freshmen Visitation Days: Greet and assist prospective students and their parents as they tour the school
- HISP Family BBQ: Plan, set up/tear down, or staff this end-of-year celebration
Complete the Volunteer/Interest Survey to indicate your areas of interest.
The Sacramento City Unified School District sets forth policies that schools must follow when recruiting and engaging volunteers. See Volunteer Requirements on the CKM website for specific information about volunteering. See Forms to access the required forms.
From time to time, parents are called upon to advocate on behalf of HISP. Activities may involve letter writing, e-mailing, phone calling, testifying at or attending school board meetings, or attending other events to express support for the program.
HISP parents are encouraged to explore opportunities to volunteer on behalf of CKM. Sports, clubs, PTSA, marching band, and other activities need parental support and the generosity of your time.